Psyllium husk is derived from the seeds of a plant commonly found in northern India. Some of the benefits associated with using psyllium husk as a dietary supplement include:
- Excellent source of soluble fiber
- Promotes regularity as well as overall digestive health
- Helps relieve constipation, and at the same time absorbs fluids to reduce diarrhea
- Increases feeling of fullness to help control food intake
- Improve cardiovascular health by decreasing blood pressure, improving lipid levels, and helping to strengthen the heart muscle
- Helps lower LDL cholesterol, or ‘bad’ cholesterol while increasing HDL, which is ‘good’ cholesterol
Psyllium is considered a very safe supplement with few side effects or cases of allergies.
Gluten Free/Low Carb Baking:
Psyllium husk is used in low-carb and gluten-free baking as a binding agent. Psyllium is very supple and flexible which is a perfect alternative to flour. Try low carb or gluten free baking without Psyllium, you will be left with a very flat, dry, unappetizing debacle.
Psyllium Husk Powder can be used as a substitute for cornstarch in sauces, gravies, and soups as a thickening agent. Psyllium Husk quickly absorbs liquid without adding undesired flavor.